Error when saving XML after clicking "Run Analysis"
If you receive the following message after “Run Analysis”:
So there’s a problem with invisible characters in your MS Project file. To solve it, work according to these stages:
- Locating the source of the error in your .xml file:
In the message above, next to Details – it specifies the location of the problematic character in the .xml file. For instance, in this example:
hexadecimal value x0B is an invalid character. Line 411669, position 90.
Clicking Ok will open two instances – the first instance is this message window and the other instance is your browser with the saved .xml file. Open a freeware text editor, e.g., Notepad++ and open the .xml file with it:
Now, scroll down to line 411669, position 90 – the location specified in the app message. To go to this line quickly, click Ctrl + G and type the desired line number (the browser will get you there – in our example: 411669).
- Finding the error location in .Project
- Repairing the error in MS Project:
Now all you need to do is go to MS Project – open the notes in the task whose identifier is 650 in our example and repair the invalid character. In our example, it is an invalid XML Ctrl + Enter marking that needs to be replaced with just Enter. And again, Run Analysis in HCP-Go.
Generally, when the HCP-Go app notifies you of an error when saving to .xml, we know of three methods to try and solve the problem:
- “Simple cleaning” of a Project file:
- Close your Project file.
- Open it – and do nothing but: Save As… and save to a new name.
- Close the file.
- Compare your files sizes – the new file will be much smaller than the original one.
- Testing the .xml file: searching for invisible characters or for the source of the error. The process described above in this section.
- Saving the file as a sub-project – the entire process should be done in detail. It is important to know that all designs and special fields in the project – will be erased…
If these solutions are difficult or complex – contact us and we will be happy to help! firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I save the report as PDF?
Open the flat report in your browser (e.g., Chrome, Edge, Explorer) and send to print, normally by clicking Ctrl + P to select your PDF printer.
If the colors disappeared in the expectation map, histogram and/or there are headers in each page in the PDF – see the next question.
The report colors disappeared in the expectation map and/or there are redundant headers at the top and bottom in the PDF, what can I do?
- Mouse Right-click and select Print, or click Ctrl + P.
- The menu has “More Settings”, open it by clicking the down arrow.
- In Options:
- Cancel Headers and footers
- Select Background graphics
- Mouse Right-click and select Print.
- Scroll down the menu, tick off Inactive under Top and Bottom Headers.
- There is no solution for the issue of lost colors. Maybe you could try a different browser?
How do I implement the HCP results in a Project file?
- To implement the HCP analysis results in your schedule, you need first to “Run Analysis” in your HCP-Go SaaS.
Then, select the “Go” menu in the “Task” toolbar and select “Load HCP Data”. The following instance will open:
Let’s look at these fields:
- Field selection for HCP Task can be found in “Flag” and HCP Slack can be found in “Text”. It is recommended to select the same number for both fields to make it easier, e.g., Flag20 and Text20.
- You can change the names of fields.
- Click OK.
- After clicking OK, the analysis data are updated in the selected fields and the graphic Gantt chart display will include a graphic addition for each hidden critical task (HCP – tiny purple asterisks!)
Now all you need to do is just “manage” the project!
How do I know if my project is 32-bit or 64-bit?
In the Project, select “File” from the menu.
- Choose “Account.”
- Click on the “About Project” button.
- In the first line, at the end of the line, the information is written – 32-bit or 64-bit.
Can't run HCP-Go - MS Project warning about Notes in line #0
If you get the following warning:
You need to:
- Click ‘No’.
- The Note for line 0 will be opened in Task Information dialog box. If it didn’t open – open it by double click on line #0.
- Cut (Ctrl+x) the notes.
- Paste (Ctrl+v) the notes in a Word file (or any other text file).
- Click ‘OK’ in MS Project.
- Click ‘Run Analysis’ in HCP-Go.
When you finish analyzing your schedule and loading the data to your project (Load Data), paste the notes you saved back to the Notes in line #0.